Friday, November 4, 2011

Supporting Black-owned should be a priority in my opinion

Personally, I feel too many in the black community take this way too lightly for various reasons and/or give a 1001 excuses not to support black-owned. Since my new found passion for skating started almost 2 years ago, I bear witness to this madness... the lack of support.


I lace up my 8s (skates) as much as possible and where I reside (Raleigh, NC), there's two rinks that either meet my desired environment or come close to it. But once I found out the one I frequent the most was black-owned it got my full support, why? Because it felt good being able to do something I've come to enjoy and be able to spend my money supporting a black business. 


I personally feel we as a people haven't 'ARRIVED' and can't nor should we ignore supporting others in the black community. ARRIVED <~ you know that feeling of... "I've work too hard, I've accomplished too much to be told where to spend MY money... so I'm spending it where I want to." That's all well and fine, but don't be in the business of being destructive (pull business away from) to another ~> black business that's trying to 'ARRIVED' and do big things as well, like giving back to the community we live in. 


I say, toss the reasons why you don't and make supporting black businesses a priority.


Here's a nice article I found written by Aisha I. Jefferson. 


4 Ways to Support Black Businesses

How to put your black buying power to use
'The Skating Place' Raleigh, NC Black-owned and operated
With black buying power on track to reach $1.2 trillion in 2015, Chandra R. Thomas of Atlanta, GA, along with two of her friends, found it disturbing that although African Americans are the largest consumers, they aren’t spending money with African American vendors and business owners. In 2003 they established a discussion group primarily for African American professionals, called TalkBLACK. The group hosts two-hour meetings on the first Saturday of each month at a black-owned venue and encourages attendees to purchase at least one item from the menu. “I want to dispel the myth that by supporting black-owned business you’re settling for less quality,” says Thomas.
The 37-year-old freelance journalist provided these four tips to encourage others to support black businesses.
1. Research local black-owned businesses.
You may be surrounded by black-owned businesses and not even know it. Find out by asking friends, contact an African American business organization, or casually inquiring at a venue about its ownership. “We also emphasize in meetings that we are looking for black businesses, and people will say ‘I know someone and give a referral,” Thomas says.
2. Make supporting black-owned businesses a priority.
http://www.theskatingplace.us/
TalkBLACK built the idea of supporting black-owned businesses into its culture, and any time it holds an event, it first looks at options that can benefit black businesses. But you don’t have to start an organization in order to support black-owned business; you can follow TalkBLACK’s lead as a member of any professional group you belong to, or wity your family. Whether you need flowers, tablecloths, or printed invitations, Thomas says, “Organizations should sit down and think about what they need on a regular basis and make a sincere effort to get an African American vendor or business owner to supply it. That should be your first course of action.” Some TalkBLACK members have selected Saturday as the day they patronize only black-owned businesses.
3. Share information with family and friends.
Adult night session (Thursdays and Sundays)
Once you identify black-owned businesses in your community, encourage others to support them too. A few years ago, Thomas sent out an e-mail telling friends to support a black-owned beauty supply store and an emissions center she’d found in her neighborhood. “We need to be an example to others, and we need to spread the word,” she says. “If black-owned businesses go down, it hurts the community.”
4. Don’t be put off by a bad experience.
“Someone can go to a place and have a bad experience and make a sweeping statement like, ‘That’s why I don’t support black businesses.’ I think that’s the wrong attitude,” says Thomas. Instead, she suggests responding to poor service by cordially asking to speak with the management and making a decision based on the outcome.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent commentary. And i agree we should support our black-owned businesses. There was a time that they were the only ones that existed for us. The only ones who would serve and provide because we weren't allowed in the OTHER places. Sure, sometimes we run up against some issues, but it would be in our best interest to support those who will ultimately support their community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your input... makes too much sense to not unite under that which you've shared.

    Thank you Miz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In total agreement. If we don't support us, who will?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Michele... "If we don't support us, who will?" <~ as plain as that.

    ReplyDelete